It's hard to believe that in a week and a half I will be in Senegal with a team from Taylor University.
Three weeks of helping out with orphans and street children, setting up a VBS and teaching English will ensue as we team up with local World Venture missionaries in Dakar. Once there, we will encounter a barrage of new experiences, from coping with culture shock and jet lag, to overcoming language barriers (we will all be grateful for our four French speakers), to grappling with the realities of poverty and issues expressed by those in need.
I look forward to a time where I will be stretched to live beyond my comfort zone, and where God can work through my weaknesses and inadequecies - Rom 12:9. I am eager to be used a vessel of compassion for all of those we will encounter, especialy the little children. I am also excited because I know that in serving, we will also be ministered to as well, another reminder that it is not about us, but whom we serve. Worshiping with fellow believers of another culture and language will be awesome and I look forward to hearing their stories, being challenged and encouraged. Working with so many chidren will bring new meaning to what it means to have faith like a child. Our team verse comes from Habakkak 1:5, and I look forward to being utterly amazed at what God is and will be doing this summer.
I will try to keep you all updated throughout the summer as internet is available during my team's three weeks in Senegal and then as I travel on to Nigeria for an additional two months to work at the Rafiki Children's Center in Jos.
Please keep our team in your prayers. Pray that we will be open to new experiences, that we will have teachable, humble hearts, and that we will be overflowing with energy and joy, all of which comes from above.
Thursday, May 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I look forward to hearing what unfolds.
Don't forget to pray to a God with an African face... not a God with a Chinese or White American face.
Post a Comment