Wednesday, June 07, 2006

These last few weeks have flown by. My time here in Senegal is almost done as I am leaving for Nigeria tomorrow. As some of you noticed, I did not have a lot of opportunities for internet access until now, so I will attempt to give a summary of some of the ministries we were able to visit and some things I'd appreciate prayer for:

-travel
pray that all of the little details and connecting flights get worked out. It has been neat to see all of the little details fall into place so far. Right now I am staying at a Taylor friend Justin Nevious' house and am looking forward to meeting up with some other Taylor friends, Dubem and Olamide, in Nigeria before I head to the orphanage in northern Nigeria, where I will be until August

-personal growth and reflection
It has been a crazy last few weeks going non-stop and visiting a lot of different ministries. Pray that I will be able to process what I've expereienced and not get burnt out as I still have around two months left to go. Pray that this summer would be an amazing time of spiritual growth and maturity.

- pray for the Talibe Center
pray for Jane who operates a shelter for the Talibe boys who have been sent away from their families at an early age to memorize the Koran at school, and live and beg on the streets for the rest of the day. She has a unique ministry, giving first aid, breakfast, and showing attention to these boys who are often neglected by society. As a result of her commitment over many years she has recently been able to show many of them, and even their Koranic teacher, the Jesus film in their dialect. Interestingly, not only did the Koranic teacher like the movie, but he asked to borrow it, and when Jane went to get it back, he didn't have it because he had lent it out to some of his fellow teachers. Although no one has expressed a desire to come to know Christ yet, the seed has been sown, and as God promises, his word does not return void.

- pray for the national ministers who are working in the villages.
We were able to meet with one, Geli, who runs kid's clubs which both muslim and christian children attend. It was neat to see how excited the kids were to sing the songs about Jesus and how passionate the young Christian leaders were about sharing their faith. We were able to visit some of these villages and interact with the kids there, as well as attend Geli's church.
Although Christians there experience a fair ammount of tolerance, it is hard to win converts in a land that is 95% muslim.

- Christian orphanage
be praying for the orphans and leaders that we visited there. It is the largest Christian run orphanage in the region and their main goal is to train future Christian leaders. They are also in the process of building the first ever missions training center for the Senegalese people.

- Pray for the Senegalese people
Senegal is a country renowned for its friendly people and you would not expect it at first glance, but it is also country plagued by fear. Islam here is mixed with local superstitions and the occult. Practically everyone consults their local maribu, or witch doctor, and sacrifices to spirits is common place.
Pray that the Christians here would be a light in a place of spiritual darkness.

No comments: