Saturday, July 01, 2006

Medical Clinic 1


Medical Clinic 1
Originally uploaded by locoluko.
Sa Kai Ge Ke! (relax)
na go de (thank you)

These particular Hausa phrases have come in quite handy for me this past week, as I had the wonderful opportunity of helping out at a medical clinic, checking vitals like blood pressure, temp, and writing down paitent's complaints before they see the doctor. It's been encouraging to see all of the hundreds of people that have been able to see a doctor, and how much general patience and calmness they have, despite their predicament and sickness.

With all those exillerating highs come some rock bottom lows. For example, for the first three days, all of those we had tested for HIV had been negative (which is great), except for the last woman on each of those consecutive days, who all tested positive. My heart just breaks for them, I cant imagine what must be going through their heads: dispair of life, fear of being ostricised by society, anger at their husband (who was probably the one who gave it to them in the first place).

After a week of 10+ hr days, and all of the varrying emotions throughout, I am really feeling burnt out right now. But all of this exhaustion has brought all the more opportunity to recognize my need and cling to God as my strength and to rest in him. Advice: Dont be like me and wait till your totally worn out before you see a need and turn to him.

How have you seen God working in your life recently, what has he shown you? I've been reflecting lately on how much I worry about and seek other's approval, and what that says about my belief as being a child of God. Am I content with what I have and who he's made me to be? What does it look like to be living a life whole heartedly seeking God's approval?

well, a yini lafiya (have a nice day)
Look forward to hearing how your summers are going and what all you are learning as well.
Thank you those of you who have written me so far and/or are praying for me

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello dr. luke

the whole medical experience and the patient contact sounds so cool. it's amazing that you get to have a direct impact on the lives of these people.

double thumbs-up :]

-amy h.

Katie Coons said...

hi Luke
I've been checking your blog and praying for you. Sounds like quite the summer. God bless you and keep you as you continue to experience what it means to serve in this kingdom.
Katie

Anonymous said...

Luke
Your pictures are amazing. Please keep them coming.
Cool blog too, haha.

-Ben T.