All around the Mosquito net,
my hands they chase mosquitoes,
and just when they thought that it was safe
Pop! Goes the Mosquito...
BzzzzzZZ...
Probably the most annoying sound known to man, especially if you happen to be attempting to get some sleep.
I try to rest in the knowledge that my mosquito netting has done it's job...
statistically speaking there's only a .5% chance separating me from malaria and a host of other less than comfortable ailments right?... but could this be the one?
Part of me was hoping for malaria, at least the macho, less wiser half - I mean how sweet would it be to say that I got malaria in Africa! and survived unscathed
But then when I was infomed that it's actually something you get and never really get rid of...
Needless to say, I was glad to find out that my headache, stomach pain and constant tiredness even with 9hr of rest a night, that I had been experiencing for the last two weeks was not due to malaria, nor worms, nor any other "major sickness" but merely some other Africa bug that decided to tag along for the ride.
The doctor jokingly remarked that he had been experiencing the same symptoms too before he met his wife.
His prognosis: get a girlfriend.
We'll see about that last bit of advice, but I did switch my Malaria medicine (the other thing he recommended), and now I feel much better, minus its new side effect: sun sensitivity (of all things... who makes a malaria medicine that cant be used in sunny climates??) Well I've never had a sun burn on my fingers before...until now
One more experience to add to an ever expanding list that this summer has brought me
And like I mentioned earlier, I'd been meditating on Psalm 46:10 this summer, Be still and know that I am God
It's a verse I've been thinking about because it runs so contrary to my nature, I am always constantly on go, always wanting to be doing something, and it makes me rather uncomfortable having nothing to do
I suppose being in bed and exhausted for two weeks kind of forced me to "be still."
Thanks God
So I just realized how fast time flies; I've got less than two weeks left here in Africa. And I've resolved to enjoy every minute of it, whether it's teaching elementary math to a bunch of high school aged boys who just dont seem to get it, helping to build a wall that is embarressingly far from perfect, throwing in the air and hugging the occationally less than disciplined little orphans until my arms fall off, I will count it all joy.
phil 4:4-13
May God continue to bless and teach you throughout the rest of your summers
I've appreciated your prayers and support.
Sunday, July 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hi Luke,
I printed off your letter and put it in my journal. Thanks for the encouragement.
I hope you don't get malaria no matter how macho you would feel... as I do recall from our Mongolian experience you've been sick after intense experiences before... keep well!
I'll be leaving HoneyRock July 24 for New York and to China Aug 9th. Sorry to miss you! Keep up the good writing and your smiles!!
Bless you dear friend,
Katie
thank goodness you're okay! getting malaria would sure be a heck of a bummer :[ but like they say, what doesn't kill ya makes you stronger.
stay safe & infectious disease-free, please! :]
-amy h.
Forget what they said, go out there and catch some malaria, otherwise I won't believe that you really were in Africa this whole time...see ya soon
Andy
While it'd be really cool to say you've had malaria, I'm sure you're better off without it...being sick is no fun. Your time in Africa is probably almost up by now so enjoy it! Those verses in Philippians are good ones too...that's one of my favorite books of the Bible!
Post a Comment