Saturday, March 24, 2007

Hello, my name is Luke... not 'Look'

So, teaching English part-time has been interesting to say the least.
tomorrow will be my forth week on the job, working two days per week.
Here in Korea, there is such an emphasis on excelling in academics. There are hundreds of different "academies" where students go to study after their regular school is finished. For example, there are martial arts academies, academies for the mathematically gifted (or challenged), and a plethera of English Academies, of which I happen to be a part.

Much has changed since the first day when I showed up and was literally told to "ok go, speak english." I had to make up games and activities on the spot for four different one-hour classes, with wide ranges in age (7-17) and varying degrees of English competancy. Some highlights were a student who insisted that his English name be, "Dog," being around kids who actually wanted to learn, and an opportunity to put my creative potential to the test.
The last few weeks have been unquestionably better. I have curriculum now to base my teaching off of, I haven't gotten lost trying to find my way to work anymore (it's 30min away taking 2 different bus lines), and the originally most disruptive/disrespectful/hyperactive class of elementary kids is now my favorite.

Thus I persevere forth, adding yet another generation to a line of educators before me (three grandparents and two parents)...

No comments: