Thursday, March 15, 2007

Korean Super Heroes

You know you're in Asia when desired abilities consist of hyper-memorization and multi-linguistic skills. Such was the case as I discovered last night while helping out at a local Korean Int'l Youth Group. I told them to introduce themselves by name and superpower, and those were the most popular answers I received.

Where to begin...I've been in Korea for two weeks now. Every new day speaks volumes. There is so much to learn here, academically, socially, personally. I've been blessed in so many ways.
Let me give just a few highlights:
- my roomates. They're great. I have two Korean roomates and one from Congo (be sure to check out our pictures on my flickr site). They have been so helpful to my adjustment with Korean and Int'l culture. Speaking of which, that has been one of the coolest things.
- I've got new friends from around the world. The other night I was in a van coming back from bowling and Korean BBQ and realized that in the back two rows alone, there were students from Afghanistan, Mexico, Cambodia, Uzbekistan, Korea, US, Mongolia, Argentina and China. I'm in an Int'l dorm and am loving the diversity.
- I love my classes. I'm taking an Int'l NGO course, Int'l Business, Law and Contemporary Issues and Abnormal Psychology. I've found that being in a culture where everyone likes to study (as the above story suggests) also brings out the best student in me.
- God has brought some great opportunities my way. The first day I was here, one of my friends from Afghanistan asked me if I wanted a job teaching English at a Korean Acadamy. Then some local teenagers asked if I wanted to help them out by starting a youth group. Both have been amazing and stretching opportunities in a lot of ways.
- there are a bazillion new snacks here - my goal is to try them all (minus the prawn flavored section)
- my campus is surrounded by forests and hills (and the ocean one mile away) beckoning to be explored. This promises to be an adventure.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

That is awesome! God is really blessing you man! I can't wait for more stories..talk to you tomorrow!

Love you man
BK

催乐海 said...

Love the superpowers! I could go for some hyper-memorization myself. That's so funny.